#MIdWeekTease in Hong Kong... with coffee...not in the cup...

Hi all,

Welcome to #MidWeekTease. I'm about 20K into my next book, set in my favourite city in the word, Hong Kong, so my tease is from there.


Blurb...

When Guido stated he didn't want her, and never would, Rachel left. Now Guido has hunted her down to explain what had happened and to ask for her help.
Dare she believe him or is she opening herself up to heartbreak again?


Your #MidWeekTease

The door to the apartment opened and she swung around in surprise, the coffee in her cup sloshing dangerously near the rim.
The taller than average, curvy and elegant woman dressed in clothes that screamed ‘designer’ who stood in front of Rachel looked her up and down with contempt.
Oh dear oh dear. Makes my jeans and t look as if I’m about to go scrubbing floors. She waited to see what on earth this visitation was all about. And of course who the woman was.
‘Does Guido know the servants drink his coffee?’ The voice was a mid Atlantic twang, so at odds with her appearance.
‘Does Guido know you march into his house without a by your leave?’ Rachel countered. Was this the mystery woman Guido needed protecting from? If so how the hell had she gotten in? ‘Which I assume he has no idea about? Breaking and entering is a crime.’ Not that she guessed there had been much breaking to get in. She assumed the woman had a key.
The woman looked at Rachel in amazement. ‘Don’t like your job? Then that’s easily sorted. You are sacked.’
Rachel began to enjoy herself. ‘Oh, I don’t think so.’ She sipped her coffee and wondered what next. ‘Your turn.’
‘You are insolent.’
Rachel nodded. ‘I am, aren’t I so what are you going to do about it?’
The woman took a step forward. ‘Tell my fiancé to sack you.’
Oh ho. Surely not? Rachel knew with a certainty the woman was lying. ‘Your fiancé? Who’s that then?’
‘Your employer. The Count.’
‘Ah the count. I don’t think so lovey.’ Rachel put her coffee cup down. ‘He doesn’t employ me and never has.’ Now how to really turn the knife? ‘Now I suggest you sling your hook before my husband comes out of his office.’
‘Your husband?’ The woman stared at Rachel as if she had two heads. ‘You lie. He would not bother to stoop so low.’
Wow so the claws are out.
‘You think so? I think not. My husband. You see Miss Cheung.’ She took a gamble that was whom the woman was. ‘I know all about you. And let me say, none of it is very interesting—or salubrious.’
‘You left.’
Rachel shrugged. ‘So? Now I’m back.’
‘He doesn’t want you. He wants me.’ She all but spat the words. ‘He will not be happy to see you here.’
‘You think not? Ah well, time will tell. I’ll mention your theory to him when he takes me shopping. Or if you want you can tell him yourself.’ She heard the soft tell tale signs of a door opening and closing and guessed Guido had come to see what the noise was. They were talking at the top of their voices. ‘Though be prepared for a shock. He’s mine until he says otherwise.’
The woman picked up Rachel’s half empty cup and flung it in Rachel’s direction. Rachel sidestepped, and Guido who had indeed emerged from his office took the liquid and the cup full on.
 ‘Oh dear,’ Rachel said in a syrupy voice. ‘I think you need to refine your aim.’



Catch all the other #MidWeekTease posts


Enjoy your reading,

love Katy xx



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#MidWeekTease Where new beginnings are almost about to happen

#MidWeekTease with Lottie in a mood and Bryony on the end of it...

#MidWeekTease with a green van and an arsy man